What Adverse Consequences Result from Whitening Teeth?

Burning and Discomfort in Teeth

It’s common to have tooth sensitivity and burning during or after treatment. You can feel sensitive teeth when using the in-office bleaching procedure. It is, therefore, preferable to talk to your dentist about any past dental sensitivity issues before beginning any treatment.

As a dentist performing teeth whitening in North York says, using too much whitening solution or using the home bleaching procedure too long could irritate your teeth. Teeth sensitivity to hot or cold meals and beverages may occur after the bleaching method teeth whitening procedure is finished. Several days pass during this sensitivity. Notify your dentist if you suffer from severe or unusual pain.

Inflammation of the Gum Tissue

Because the bleaching agents used in the bleaching procedure contain peroxide, the tissue in the mouth, gums, and tongue may get irritated or somewhat damaged. Because of this, when using the in-office bleaching technique, the dentist covers the gum tissue with protection.

Making a special tray reduces the chance of bleaching gel leaking on the gums when using the at-home procedure. Additionally, at this point, caution is required to ensure that the whitening agent just covers the teeth and does not secrete onto the gums or the soft tissues inside the mouth. To prevent issues while using the at-home bleaching procedure, it is preferable to wipe out any extra bleaching material from the gum if it protrudes from the tray.

Enamel Erosion in Teeth

Tooth enamel can be harmed by bleaching agents used improperly. It is crucial to follow a dentist’s supervision while using any bleaching process at home because of this. To delay this treatment if there are any issues, the dentist also typically examines the teeth and the state of the enamel before beginning work. When bleaching agents are used excessively, the tooth enamel weakens and thins, exposing the yellow dentin underneath. As a result, the patient’s tooth could seem yellow.

Burns and Blisters

A patient may have bleaching gel on their gum tissue for an extended period if they do not follow the dentist’s advice. This will result in scorched gum tissue, sometimes even blistering it.

Reactions Triggered by Allergies

Occasionally, an individual may undergo many allergic reactions as a result of their sensitivity to certain compounds. Hypersensitivity reactions involving these drugs can manifest as hives, facial, tongue, and lip swelling, as well as trouble breathing. You must notify your dentist if you observe these symptoms.

Gastrointestinal Distress

Occasionally, these compounds may be eaten and end up in the patient’s stomach as a result of patient or even dentist carelessness. The patient will experience stomach discomfort and digestive issues in this scenario. Drinking plenty of water can help solve this issue for the patient and get better results faster.

Tooth Roughness

In certain cases, patients may choose to apply the bleaching gel to their teeth for an extended period in an attempt to achieve more white teeth than what their dentist has recommended. Here, taking the gel off your teeth could cause them to feel scratchy. Seeking a remedy from your dentist is the best way to address this issue.