Freestyle Libre patches work by continuously monitoring blood sugar levels and sending data wirelessly to a receiver that displays the information on a handheld device. The patches are applied to the upper arm and remain in place for up to 14 days. Data is collected every minute, allowing patients and their caregivers to track trends in blood sugar levels and make necessary adjustments to treatment plans.
How to use:
Instructions on how to use the nicotine patches, including where to place them and how often to use them, can be found on the package or online. Most people use one patch per day, but the dosage may vary depending on your individual needs. Some people find it helpful to place the patch on a specific area of their body, such as their upper arm or chest. It’s important to keep the patch in a dry place and avoid contact with heat, such as from a sun tanning bed or hot tub. Here are some final tips for using Freestyle Libre patches:
- Make sure the sensor is inserted correctly and secured.
- Avoid getting the sensor wet.
- Change the patch every 10 days or as directed by your doctor.
- Record your blood sugar levels to share with your doctor.
It is advisable to read the insert that comes with the package and to follow the directions carefully. If you experience any side effects from the patches or if they don’t seem to be working, contact your health care provider. Taking the patch off is a bit tricky and requires a bit of strength. If you can’t get it off, cut it off with scissors. The patch will be stuck to your skin for about three weeks but can be removed sooner.
Are you new to Freestyle Libre? Or maybe you’ve been using it for a while but feel you could be getting more out of it? Here are some tips to help you make the most of your patches!
- Make sure you’re scanning your sensor regularly. The more often you scan, the more accurate your readings will be. Reviewing at least once a day is recommended.
- Pay attention to your blood sugar trends. Your blood sugar trends can help you spot patterns and change your treatment plan.
- Keep a record of your blood sugar readings. It can help you track how different foods or activities affect your blood sugar levels and help you adjust your treatment plan accordingly.
- Try different scanning techniques to find what works best for you.
There are many benefits to using Freestyle Libre patches over other glucose monitoring methods. They are accurate, affordable, and less invasive than traditional blood sugar tests.